Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Week 2 - The Threat of Routine rises.

So here we are at Week 2 of Winter Universität, day 12 of my time in Germany and what can I say I have achieved so far?

I've learnt new words! Schicky Micky [sic] is one of my favorites, meaning somewhat pompous or poncy i think. It was described to me as a person who is very dressed up yet still boorish and vulgar. And many many other words too I'm sure I have learnt, but to regurgitate them would be rather long-winded and no fun to read!

I've eaten German foods! Though my opinion is mixed on which I enjoy or don't, for the most part German food is very hospitable to the palate and easily consumed in large quantities (much to the chagrin of my belt I'm sure). So far one of my favorites has to be way Döner is made here. Undoubtedly it must more accurate to the Turkish tradition of its making due to the large numbers of those with a Turkish migrant background living and working in Germany. In terms of sweets, I can't get enough of the southern favorites, a chocolate called Ritter Sport. Typically milk chocolate with hazelnuts it however comes in a multitude of other flavors and forms (my favorite is espresso) and I hope to visit the Ritter Sport museum soon.
Probably only 1/10 of all the flavors are shown here.


What else have i learnt thus far? Perhaps I have learnt that there is too much to learn! One jarring thing was that the friendly way Australians deal with each other, lest one be seen as snobbish or cold, is not very acceptable here, it is much more accepted to be dealing with others in the formal when they are not friends or regular acquaintances. This has definitely surprised me as i had long thought the friendly style of Australians  was our passport to the world. But perhaps not in Germany, maybe the weather seeped into their manners haha

On that note, it gets colder and colder here. Seeing ice on the ground blows me away and i think it will for a long time to come.

For now I best sign off and sleep for a long day tomorrow complete with excursion to the State Gallery to look at art older than Anglicized Australia. 

Bis Später!

Picture of the day!  
Saint George Slaying a dragon (from the Chapel of the Hohenzollern Castle in Tübingen. taken by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment